Reflections Blog

As we finished reading Mrs. Dalloway I can positively say I enjoyed it much more than Waverly. The plot in general is more appealing to me with the imagery of the city along with the relationships of characters. I enjoyed the fact that the point of view was written within one particular day. I have never read a book like this before so it was interesting to see how the story would develop. The relationships between characters were interesting as we learn there was a bit of a love triangle (like in Waverly) between Clarissa, her husband Richard, and Peter. Deep down she truly loves Peter, but she justifies her decision for marrying Richard as she needed a man to depend and rely on in her life and Richard was able to do that for her. I think it’s scary how relatable that feeling is to a lot of women. People make choices on what they think is better for them even if they feel something stronger for someone else. I think this a poor way to live your life as you might never truly be happy if thats the decision you make. When Septimus ended his life, Clarissa was almost relieved and happy for him. I’m not sure if this says that she wished she could have the courage like him to escape his life or if she just believes that was the right thing to do for himself. After finishing it seems as though Clarissa and Septimus were more similar than we originally thought so I think it can be interpreted either way in regards to her feelings about his death. Overall, I enjoyed reading this book, I actually took it to the beach when the sun was out…hopefully I can do that again with our next one!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dublin Blog

Introductory Blog

Mrs. Dalloway Blog #1